Saving Lives with Standoff IED Detection Technology
January 12, 2016
Recent terrorist events around the world have put nations in a state of alert. Following the attacks in Paris and Turkey, and most recently San Bernardino, CA, government officials are looking for new ways to improve their security measures. To prevent further attacks, countries are looking at a full range of tools and preventive measures to protect their citizens from terrorism. One such tool is the CounterBomber® stand-off suicide bomber detection system, manufactured by Rapiscan Systems, Inc.
Currently, a number of foreign governments and security forces around the world are using the CounterBomber® system as a proactive solution to protect targeted areas from terrorists wearing concealed suicide explosive devices and weapons. The CounterBomber® technology allows for detection of a terrorist threat before they gain access to places with a high density of people. It can be used to protect people in transport hubs such as airports, subways, and train stations.
Some innovative features of the device include:
• Standoff Detection – Identifies threats at safe distances enabling security personnel to isolate and react effectively before the intended target is reached
• Accurate – A high detection rate and low false alarm rate allows for threats to be identified without bogging down screening operations
• Ease of use – Quick and easy installation;requires minimal operator training
• Automatic– Innovative detection techniques allow the system to automatically render a decision in seconds, reducing operator fatigue while freeing up security personnel
• Safe, non-imaging assessment—Uses video tracking and a low power, non-imaging radar which reduces liability and privacy concerns
• Easy to integrate—Enables enhanced situational awareness and command and control (C2)
The U.S. government has extensively tested CounterBomber®, and the system has met or exceeded all established metrics for performance, safety, and reliability. In addition, the U.S. Department of Defense has been using the CounterBomber® system in mission-critical, real-world scenarios continuously for the past 6 years.
CounterBomber® is a proven people-screening tool that can identify would-be attackers quickly and accurately, making the system an ideal solution for countries looking to protect their citizens from terrorism.